With so many families trying to save money this summer, personal automobiles will be getting a workout as they are used to give a less expensive form of summer vacation travel transportation. But if you want to keep your family safe and avoid a breakdown when you take your car on a vacation, then there are some maintenance steps that you should take.
1. Get a tune up. You should check your car for any possible or potential mechanic failures, but even if you don’t find any take it in to your mechanic for a tune up. He or she will change the oil and filters, check the radiator, rotate the tires and do all those little things that need to be done before you expose your car to long drives in the heat of the summer.
2. Inflate your tires. Gas is expensive. Inflating your tires will help you to use less gas on your vacation and save you money. In addition, it will help keep your car better protected against driving damage.
3. Get new windshield wipers. Summer storms can creep up on you while driving. Cracked, old windshield wipers do not clean your windshield enough to clear your vision and allow you to drive safely. Get new wipers if yours are not in top condition.
4. Get your insurance papers together. The more you drive your car, the greater your chance of an accident. Put a copy of your car insurance policy in your glove compartment so that you can access it in a hurry. Also, if your cell phone does not have camera capabilities, make sure you put a disposable camera in the glove compartment too so you can take pictures at the scene of any accidents.
5. Check all your seatbelts and anti-theft devices. To keep your family and car safe, make sure you double check all your safety belts for springiness and response to a sharp tug. Also, make sure that the click firmly when you fasten them. Finally, check your alarms and other anti-theft devices for loose wiring.
By paying attention to these details before you take your vacation, not only will you keep your family and your car safer, you willexactly as fun as a vacation is supposed to be. also reduce the likelihood of an insurance claim. This will save you money all around and make sure that your trip is Fantastic!